The basic swimming rules for the English Channel are:
- The swim starts on the natural shore, not from the low swim wall or breakwater.
- The swim finishes on the natural shore, with no sea water beyond, unless the finish is against steep cliffs, when it is sufficient to touch them with no sea-water beyond.
- The swimmer receives no help and must not be touched by anyone, but may be handed food and drink.
- The swimmer may wear
– only One Standard swimming cap
– only One Standard swimming costume (no wetsuits allowed)
– goggles, nose-clip, ear plugs, and grease
– a light stick at night